Congratulations To All 2018 Participants!
5k – January 27, 2018 • 10k – February 10, 2018 • 15k – February 24, 2018
Join us at the iconic Great Saltair for the 40th anniversary of The Original Winter Series, Salt Lake City’s oldest race series! The legendary, affordable series features a set of premier running events ideal for elite athletes and everyday runners alike. Proceeds support the Making Strides program, which provides shoes, uniforms, and an introduction to running, to an underserved youth population at a local Boys and Girls Club.
2017 sold out with a record number of participants!
MORE RACES. MORE MEMORIES.
Pay The Lowest Event Pricing
Earn an Exclusive Finisher Medal
Enjoy Pre and Post-Race Festivities
Compete For The Fittest Team Award
- 5K – January 27, 2018, 10 am
- 10K – February 10, 2018, 10 am
- 15K – February 24, 2018, 10 am
*9:00 am early start option for 15K only. Early start is ONLY for runners expecting to take 2 hours or longer (13+ minute mile pace).
Make-up run – March 24, 2018*
*In the event a participant is unable to complete one of the series races due to icy roads or poor air quality we have instituted a “makeup run.” The “makeup run” is an untimed, noncompetitive, fun run to allow runners a safe alternative to earn the 40th Anniversary medal. Makeup run will start at Wasatch Running Company in Sandy, and NOT the Great Saltair.
- Exclusive finisher medal to all series finishers
- $6,000 in raffle items and giveaways
- A long-sleeve cotton-blend shirt*
- Electronic timing chip and results
- Free photographs
- Supported aid stations
- Shelter and refreshments in the Saltair facility
- Professional DJ music inside the Great Saltair and outside at the start/finish area.
- Pre and post-race festivities
*Shirts are ordered based on registrations received by 12/1/2017. Therefore, shirt availability is not guaranteed for registrations after this date and will be on a first come first served basis at packet pickup.
Discount for Club Members
Salt Lake City Track Club members are eligible for a $10 discount on the entry fee which will be applied during checkout. No code needed. Nonmembers will have the option to join before checkout. Not a member? Want to learn more? click here
Course & Amenities
- Aid Stations: (see locations on map) Aid stations are located along the course and will consist of Gatorade and water.
- Medical Support: Medical staff is available at the start/finish area.
- Shelter: The Great Saltair Building will open race day at 8:30 am with full access to electric restroom facilities.
- Refreshments: Beans & Brew coffee, hot chocolate, hot cider, water, Great Harvest Bread, peanut butter, honey, granola bars, and fresh fruit will be available in the Great Saltair Building after each race.
- Start and Finish: Races start and finish in front of the Great Saltair Building near the south end of the parking lot.
- Porta Potties: Porta potties will be stationed along the 15K course.
- Course description: Each course is an out and back on the frontage road. All courses are USATF certified, fast, flat, and record eligible.
- Course Time Limit: There is not a course time limit. All abilities welcome.
- Electronic Timing Chip and Results: Professional race timing and instant onsite results provided by I Run Utah. Utah’s #1 race timing company.
- Clocks and Mile Markers: Digital clocks are positioned at the start line, turnaround point, and finish line of each race. The mile markers are positioned at each mile.
- Street Closures: The frontage road is closed to all traffic on race day.
- Free Parking: There is plenty of parking in the lot in front of the Great Saltair.
Directions to The Great Saltair: Off I-80 (I-80 west if coming from Salt Lake City area) it is exit 104 Saltair Drive. Ten miles past the Salt Lake International airport.
Other transportation options: Consider carpooling. There are not any public transportation options that currently go to The Great Saltair. Taking a cab or using car services such as Lyft or Uber are alternatives.
Fittest Team Award
Fittest Team Series Award is awarded to the team that has the most accumulative team points at the end of the series.
Teams are a great way to stay motivated and connected with fellow runners. To encourage camaraderie and friendly competition we are introducing a team award! Recruit your friends, family, and coworkers. The larger your team means the more possible points you can earn.
– 1 point for each team member that finishes the 5K
– 2 points for each team member that finishes the 10K
– 3 points for each team member that finishes the 15K
More award details coming soon.
- 40th Anniversary Medal with a 3D engraving of the Great Saltair to all series finishers
- Jackets to the top three Open and Masters series finishers
- Championship Plaques for top 3 male and female finishers in each age group:
- 75 & Over
14 & Under
- 75 & Over
Wasatch Running Center gift certificates will be awarded to overall men/women open and masters winners as follows:
1st Place: $100
2nd Place: $75
3rd Place: $50
1st Place: $75
2nd Place: $50
3rd Place: $25
RRCA State Championship medals will be awarded to the top performing man/woman in the following categories:
Grand Master (50-59)
Senior Grand Master (60+)
Medals will be awarded to the top three men/women in the divisions shown below. Open and Masters Winners and RRCA State Champions will be excluded from these awards.
75 & Over
14 & Under
- The top three Open and Masters (male and female) athletes will be determined by the order in which the athletes cross the finish line, regardless of when the athlete actually crossed the starting line. (aka: gun time.)
- All athletes 40 and over (on race day) are eligible to compete in the Masters division.
- Masters athletes are eligible to collect open prize money in addition to masters prize money should they place high enough overall.
- Net time will be used for all age-group scoring and awards.
- Age-divisions will be determined by an athlete’s age on race day for all Winter Series races.
Athena & Clydesdale (Weight Division)
- Registering under the Athena/Clydesdale category is completely optional. It is the athlete’s choice as to whether or not he or she registers for this division.
- Athena/Clydesdale athletes, however, are NOT eligible to compete in age group divisions.
- Female athletes weighing 140+ pounds are eligible to compete in the Athena division.
- Male athletes weighing 200+ pounds are eligible to compete in the Clydesdale division.
- Net time (chip time) will be used for all Athena/Clydesdale awards.
- Over $6,000 in raffle items and give ways
- Post-race raffles will be held after each race with prizes totaling over $1,500+ per race.
- Raffle Grand Prize: FREE RAGNAR TEAM! (15K Raffle)
- Raffle Preview:
- 3 Chances to win: Jaybird Sport Freedom 2 Wireless Sport Headphones ($149.99)
- Topo Athletic: pair of shoes & trucker hat
- And much more
Can I bring my dog to run with?
Sorry, no dogs are allowed on the running course.
Are strollers allowed?
Yes, strollers are allowed, but we ask that you start in the back of the pack.
What is your refund policy?
Sorry, we have a no refund policy.
How do I request ADA accommodations?
Accommodations can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
The Salt Lake City Track Club is dedicated to promoting the welfare of the Salt Lake running community. Our mission is threefold: provide social running opportunities to runners of all distances, contribute to the running community through donations and volunteerism, and organize several state-of-the-art road races every winter.