A popular New Year’s Eve tradition, our 39th Annual Beat the New Year 5K really is all about fun. Ring in the New Year like never before! Have a fitness goal for 2017? Why wait until January 1? Kick off the new goal at a party with all your running friends. Want to help build community in 2017? Your participation helps us provide free running shoes, shirts, running-related instruction , and coaching to Making Strides (a 5-week program hosted in partnership with The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Salt Lake).
New this year, we will have two start times because we want everyone to finish before midnight. We will have an early start at 11:15pm for those who think they wil need more than 30 minutes to finish the distance. We will still have the 11:30pm start time for all others.
We know it is cold, but plan on staying outside when you finish and cheer on all the finishers as we count down to 2017. We plan to have a fun finish area outside (stay tuned for details). We will crown Mr. and Ms. 2017 and award the costumes outside just after midnight.
So come out for some “Puttin’ on the Ritz” to celebrate the New Year, your fitness goals, or just plain cheer. Grab your winter gear, your best costume, your friends and family and come run in 2017! Our kids program will greatly benefit from your participation. Let’s make this a new, New Year’s tradition!
Event Date, Time and Place
- December 31, 2017
- 11:30 pm in Sugar House Park (11:15 for early start)
- Participants will stage at Highland High School and walk over to the northeast corner of the Park for the race start.
Registration and Packet Pickup
Online Registration will be available until Dec 30, 2016 @ 11:59pm
Day of race registration and packet pickup is from 10:00 pm to 11:00 pm on at Highland High School (2100 S. 1700 E., Salt Lake City). Please enter through the main entrance located on the east side, near the flagpole.
Pricing and Discount for Club Members
Salt Lake City Track Club members are eligible for a $5 discount on the entry fee. If you are not a member and wish to join, please use the entry form here.
• Adult Online Registration (SLCTC Members) $25.00 (non-SLCTC Members) $30.00
• Adult Day of Race Registration (SLCTC Members) $30.00 (non-SLCTC Members) $35.00
• Youth 13-17 Online Registration (SLCTC Members) $15.00 (non-SLCTC Members) $20.00
• Youth 13-17 Day of Race Registration (SLCTC Members) $20.00 (non-SLCTC Members) $25.00
• Kids 12 and Under are FREE Online and Day of Race Registration*
*with paying Adult, includes bib only, no race shirt or finsher award
Parking is at Highland High School (2100 S. and 1700 E.) just east of Sugar House Park. Please be aware there is NO parking in Sugar House Park.
Starting in the Northeast corner, the course is 2 road loops within Sugar House Park, including the spur north of the pond.
Long sleeve technical shirts are included for all pre-registered runners. Shirts for day of registrants will be available while supplies last, exact sizes not guaranteed.
- Mr. and Ms. 2017 – Fast Male and Female Runner
- Best New Year-themed Costume (Male and Female)
- Coldest Costume (Please keep in mind we could have extreme cold temps and ice/snow; have fun but be wise.
- Commemorative finishing award to all registered runners (with bibs) who Beat the New Year and finish before midnight.
This race is an all-ages event – select costumes appropriately.
A pre-race raffle will start at 10:15 pm, running continuously until 11:00pm. Must be present to win.
Dogs and Strollers
Sorry, no dogs are allowed on the running course. Strollers are allowed but we ask that you start at the back of the pack. Be mindful that road conditions could include snow and ice.
If you have any further questions about this race please contact us at email@example.com